HISTORY GREATEST LIES
Whatever it takes
Heads of state, politicians or military leaders have no qualms about lying on the radio or the television to millions of people and, even under oath, to the highest authorities and institutions. They use secret services or communications agencies to make their lies more credible.
Lies are not just a matter of words or silence. They entail practical acts as well as technical support. Whole teams are sometimes necessary to construct believable illusions. In State affairs, all and every means can be used to conceal an operation.
For some in the service of a nation, lying just means reinventing the world.
- 1915. THE SINKING OF THE LUSITANIA
- 1944. OPERATION FORTITUDE
- 1972. WATERGATE
- 1979. THE OIL SNIFFER AIRCRAFT HOAX
- 2003. THE WAR IN IRAQ
- 1985. THE RAINBOW WARRIOR
- 2008. MADOFF, THE FRAUD OF THE CENTURY
- 2013. THE LANCE ARMSTRONG DOPING SYSTEM
- 1990. THE NAYIRAH TESTIMONY, THE FIRST GULF WAR
- 1993. THE ELYSEE WIRETAPPING CASE
- 1998. THE CLINTON-LEWINSKY AFFAIR
- 1998. TOBACCO INC.
- 1991. THE CONTAMINATED HAEMOPHILIA BLOOD CASE
- 1997. THE ASBESTOS SCANDAL
- 1996. THE MAD COW CRISIS